Be Nice to Yourself~
Yes we all need to exercise, eat right and count our blessings. But if you have goofed … let it go and keep moving toward your goals. Being healthy can be a joy!
- Say something nice about yourself. For every negative thought, come back with a compliment. If you need to, write a few on post-its and stick them to the mirror or your computer screen.
- Retrain your brain. Practice mindfulness by realizing your thought patterns, and reversing them if they are damaging. For example, when flipping through a magazine or watching television, if you notice yourself thinking, “Wow, if I only looked like that, then I’d be happy,” remind yourself that looking like that requires make-up, special angles, airbrushing, and sometimes very restrictive diet and exercise plans (as well as great genetics). Plus, happiness is a state of mind, not the shape of your body.
- Stop criticizing yourself and start criticizing the ads. Research the techniques that their creators employ to get the final, unrealistic result, and analyze ads instead of taking them at face value.
- Exercise because it makes you feel good. If you hate the gym but drag yourself there just because you want to maintain your appearance, stop going! Instead, find an activity that you enjoy, like hiking, swimming, dancing, walking, biking, gardening, or sports, and stay fit that way instead.
- Be patient with yourself. Years of brainwashing won’t disappear overnight. But if you adopt these techniques, bit by bit you’ll learn how to like your body. After all, it’s the only one you’ve got, so you’re much better off appreciating it!
From SparkPeople, thanks for the information.