PACIFICA HOTELS HITS 5,000 POUND MARK IN RECYCLED SOAP AND SHAMPOO IN TIME FOR EARTH DAY 2014
Initiative with Clean the World Helps Prevent Hygiene-Related Illnesses and Deaths
Irvine, CA (April 21, 2014) – About one million partly-used bars of soap are disposed of daily by U.S. hotels. With worldwide Earth Day celebrations on the horizon for April 22nd, this month marks the time of year to think about the ways individuals and companies can be less wasteful and more environmentally friendly.
Pacifica Hotels, the largest owner and operator of boutique hotels on the Pacific Coast, keeps this notion top of mind throughout the year. In a partnership with Clean the World, Pacifica Hotels donates partially used bars of soap and bath products to be repurposed and donated to impoverished areas. The initiative, which has yielded 5,000 pounds of soap and shampoo collected from 20 Pacifica properties, serves to reduce waste, share resources and impact communities in need.
“Clean the World is a fantastic organization with a great mission,” said Pacifica Hotels’ President Matt Marquis. “They make it easy for us to help with their recycling initiative to donate products to impoverished people who desperately need them to prevent hygiene-related illnesses and deaths. This is one significant way we are curtailing waste from our hotels, and it’s an important one.”
How it works:
1. Clean the World sends containers to each of Pacifica’s 20 participating properties.
2. The containers are marked for soap or shampoo products, and bins are picked up weekly.
3. Soap is taken to Clean the World’s Soap Recycling plant, where it is then put through a sanitization process.
4. Slightly used bars are soaked in a sanitation solution and then ground down into soap noodles and fed through a soap press to produce brand new bars of soap. The soap is then tested for its PH level and cooled for packaging.
5. Tri-Tech Laboratories then tests the soap for sterilizations levels and eliminates all pathogens: listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, salmonella typhimurium and staphylococcus aureus.
6. Products are then donated to impoverished people to prevent the millions of deaths caused by hygiene-related illnesses every day.
Clean the World Foundation Inc. is a nonprofit organization committed to reducing the waste created by discarded soap and shampoo products and preventing the millions of deaths caused by hygiene-related illnesses around the world. Clean the World accomplishes its mission by collecting, recycling, and distributing discarded soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions and gels from participating hospitality partners. Clean the World recycles guest room hygiene items at its Recycling Operations Center (ROC) and distributes them for humanitarian purposes with partnering nonprofit organizations. The items are distributed domestically and to children and families in communities around the globe.
About Pacifica Hotels
Pacifica Hotels was formed in January of 1993 to consolidate the hospitality operations of Invest West Financial Corporation, which has been involved in the acquisition, development, refurbishing and operating of quality hotel properties and other commercial real estate properties for almost 30 years. Today, Pacifica Hotels is the largest owner and operator of boutique hotels on the Pacific coast. Pacifica’s 24 independent and flag properties in key California cities from San Diego to San Francisco, as well as Hawaii and Florida, feature outstanding locations, AAA 3-diamond ratings, upgraded amenities and high standards of guest service. For complete hotel descriptions and reservations, visit www.pacificahotels.com.