Professionals are evaluate your level of toxic exposure in your home. This is “way past” removing solvents and inventing better storage options. They can evaluate potential indoor health hazards, like mold, lead, radiation, water problems and more.
Often people notice that they seem more allergic in one place or another, this problem is known in a generic way as “sick building syndrome”. There are so many chemicals used in building (formaldehyde) or furnishings it is quite a task to sort out culprits.
The toxicx lists is long, start by protecting yourself against these:
- BPA (in plastic)
- Lead, Mercury, chlorine, fluoride, asbestos, arsenic, radon
- Phthalates (shampoos, cosmetics)
- fabric and upholstery materials may be bleached or from pesticide
Arm yourself with knowledge, read these and others:
“Clean” is a guide published by Gwenneth Paltrow and Donna Karan
“Slow Death by Rubber Duck” Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie
- Kitchen sink water filter (under counter model is about $150-200)
- Shower Filter (about $50-75)
- Pick GREEN Cleaners look for the Green Seal, use vinegar
- For Cosmetics, no parabens, keep it pure, ingredients that you can say/spell
- For cleaner air, use an HEPA air filter (get a vacuum cleaner with one too)